Smart energy solutions for Africa represent a transformative approach to addressing the continent’s energy challenges while promoting sustainable development. These solutions leverage advanced technologies, innovative strategies, and renewable energy sources to ensure reliable, affordable, and environmentally friendly access to electricity.
The call invites small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) from Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, and Tanzania to apply for funding to address the energy access challenges faced by rural and off-grid communities in Africa. Smart Energy Solutions for Africa (SESA) is a European Commission-funded research and innovation project supervised by the ICLEI European Secretariat (a non-profit organization situated in Brussels). SESA was begun in October 2021 for a 48-month period and is currently being implemented in nine African countries.
Smart energy solutions aim to alleviate energy poverty in Africa by providing reliable access to electricity for all. By deploying renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, and hydro, these solutions offer off-grid and decentralized power systems to communities in remote areas. This access to clean and affordable energy improves living conditions, enhances educational opportunities, enables economic growth, and supports healthcare services, ultimately transforming the quality of life for millions of people.
Smart energy solutions for Africa are crucial in promoting sustainable development on the continent. By reducing reliance on fossil fuels and transitioning to renewable energy sources, these solutions contribute to the mitigation of climate change and the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions. Additionally, they facilitate the adoption of energy-efficient technologies and practices, enabling industries and households to reduce their carbon footprint and contribute to a greener and more sustainable future.
Smart energy solutions have the potential to drive economic growth in Africa. By expanding access to electricity, these solutions empower businesses, entrepreneurs, and industries with reliable and affordable power sources. This enables the development of local enterprises, promotes job creation, and stimulates economic activity. Moreover, the adoption of smart grids and energy management systems optimizes energy consumption, reduces wastage, and improves overall energy efficiency, resulting in cost savings and increased competitiveness.
Smart energy solutions for Africa offer a pathway to sustainable development, energy security, and economic growth. By expanding access to reliable and clean energy sources, these solutions address energy poverty, promote sustainable practices, drive economic activity, enhance energy security, enable technological innovation, and foster collaboration. The implementation of smart energy solutions paves the way for a brighter and more sustainable future for Africa, where energy is harnessed responsibly, supporting both human well-being and environmental preservation.
- Level of Study: Research Fellowship
- Institution(s): Smart Energy Solutions for Africa (SESA)
- Study in: Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, or Tanzania
- Courses Offered: All subjects offered by the Institute
- Deadline: 25 June 2023
The university will provide all the following:
- Each selected firm will receive between € 50,000 and €100,000 in service agreements for the design, implementation, and evaluation of proposed replication projects. They will be selected to participate in the SESA Incubator Program, which is conducted by SESA partner Smart Innovation Norway (SIN). Mentorship, coaching, and access to networks of industry experts and possible investors are all part of the plan.
Eligibility Criteria for Smart Energy Solutions for Africa
Eligible Countries: Students from Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, and Tanzania are eligible to apply.
Acceptable Course or Subjects: The scholarship will be awarded in domains such as solar irrigation technologies in rural communities, waste-to-energy solutions to improve clean cooking, and solar cold chain technologies for both peri-urban and rural communities among other related technical fields.
Admissible Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the given criteria:
- Businesses should be operating in fields like solar cold chain technologies for both peri-urban and rural people, waste-to-energy solutions to increase clean cooking, and solar irrigation technologies for rural communities.
- Your business must have been in operation for at least three years.
- For the last two years (2022 and 2021), your company must have generated revenues and provided financial documents, including income statements and balance sheets.
- There are no pending lawsuits against your company or its management team.
How to Apply for Smart Energy Solutions for Africa
Supporting Documents: Applicants must provide the given supporting documents:
- Application Form
- Certificate of incorporation/association and registration certificate
- Financial statements for the last two years (including income statements and balance sheets for 2022 and 2021)
- Pictures and technical specifications of your product/service(s)
Admission Requirements: Applicants must fulfill the following admission requirements:
- Applicants must be registered and operationally active in one of the four priority countries for at least three years and provide evidence of income production.
- Must have proof of previous similar work done in the country.
Language Requirement: Applicants must fulfill one of the following language requirements:
- Must be very fluent in the English language (verbally as well as written).
For further information about the Smart Energy Solutions for Africa, please visit the official website below.