The Government of the Republic of Mauritius is offering scholarships to deserving students who are resident citizens of member states of the African Union or of African Commonwealth countries for full-time, on-campus undergraduate (diploma/degree) and postgraduate (MPhil/Ph.D.) programs tenable in public Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in Mauritius.
- Level of Study: Diploma, Undergraduate, MPhil & Ph.D. degree
- Institution(s): Government Mauritius
- Study in: Mauritius
- Courses Offered: All subjects offered by the University
- Deadline: 26 May 2023
The Scholarship will support successful candidates in meeting their tuition fees and in contributing to their living expenses during
their studies in Mauritius. Furthermore, the scholarship covers return airfare by the most economical route. This will be valid for
travel from the country of origin at the beginning of the studies and back to the country of origin upon successful completion of
Tuition fees and course-related costs
This Mauritius Africa Scholarship provides for an annual payment of fees and other studies-related costs (e.g. general/annual fees and miscellaneous fees, etc) as per the grid below: SN Beneficiaries from Applicable Rate Total fee payable up to
1 SADC Countries Local Fees MUR100,000
2 Non-SADC Countries International Fees MUR160,000 (as at 15 November 2022, 1 USD = MUR 44.25)
- Awardees are expected to come to Mauritius with sufficient funds (approximately USD 1000) to meet expenses during the initial phase of their stay (about three (3) months), while formalities are being completed locally.
- A monthly living allowance of MUR 14,200 will be paid to awardees as part of support to meet their living expenses. Students are expected to supplement this amount to cover the cost of living in Mauritius. This allowance will be credited to the awardee’s bank account in Mauritius on a monthly basis, subject to the submission of evidence of enrolment and satisfactory attendance in the study program by the HEI.
- The payment of allowances during the final year of enrolment in the study program will cover, on a pro-rata basis, a period of two (2) weeks following the final day of examinations.
- Awardees should inform the Ministry of Education, Tertiary Education, Science, and Technology in writing, preferably two (2) weeks in advance, in case they have to leave Mauritius for any reason.
Eligibility Criteria for Mauritius Africa Scholarship
Eligible Countries: Member states of the African Union or African Commonwealth countries
Acceptable Course or Subjects: The scholarship will be awarded for bachelor, master, and Ph.D. study in any subject
Admissible Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- For undergraduate programs, applicants should be above 18 years of age and should not have reached their 26th birthday by 01 January 2024.
- For Ph.D. programs, applicants should not have reached 40 years by 01 January 2024.
- Applicants must have already applied for a full-time on-campus program (Diploma, Degree, MPhil, or Ph.D.) at a public Higher Education Institution in Mauritius (listed in Section 8 in the appropriate Guidelines for Applicants) for the academic year starting in 2023.
How to Apply for Mauritius Africa Scholarship
The scholarship will be for a maximum duration as indicated in the table below or the minimum course duration whichever is lesser.
SN Programme of Studies Maximum Duration
1. Undergraduate Diploma Three (3) years
2. Undergraduate Degree Four (4) years
3. MPhil / Ph.D. Four (4) years + 6 months for the transfer from MPhil to PhD
4. Ph.D. Three (3) years
An application under this Mauritius Africa Scholarship scheme 2023 is to be made solely through the Nominating Agency responsible for the processing of scholarships in the country of citizenship of the applicant. Such Nominating Agency, which may typically be part of the Ministry of Education in the country of the applicant, will then shortlist and endorse the applications of a maximum of FIFTEEN (15) eligible candidates (the decision on the distribution of nominees from the undergraduate and/or postgraduate programs rest on the nominating agencies) and submit the duly
completed application forms as per the table below:
- Intake: August/September 2023
- Deadline for electronic submission: May 19, 2023
- Hard copy should reach Mauritius by May 26, 2023
Applications, together with supporting documents as required should be forwarded to the Ministry of Education, Tertiary Education, Science and Technology of the Republic of Mauritius at the address mentioned below, for a final selection.
The Senior Chief Executive,
Ministry of Education, Tertiary Education, Science, and Technology
(Attn: Tertiary Education and Scientific Research Division)
Level 2, MITD House, Pont Fer, Phoenix 73544.
The Republic of Mauritius (Email: [email protected] )
To explore more about the Mauritius Africa Scholarship, please visit the official website below.