The African Fact-Checking is accepting submissions for Awards for Journalistic Excellence for the academic year 2023/20224 to promote and recognize great fact-checking journalism by African media practitioners.
- Level of Study: Journalism program
- Institution(s): Africa Check
- Study in: Africa
- Courses Offered: All subjects offered by the Institute
- Deadline: 30 June 2023
The working journalist and professional fact-checker categories will each get a US$3,000 reward. The runners-up will be awarded $1,500. The winner of the student journalist category will receive $2,000, while the runner-up will receive $1,000.
Eligibility Criteria for African Fact-Checking Awards 2023
Eligible Countries: Students from all African Countries can apply for this scholarship.
Acceptable Course or Subjects: The scholarship will be awarded in the following categories:
- Fact-Check of the Year by a Working Journalist
- Fact-Check of the Year by a Professional Fact-Checker
- Fact-Check of the Year by a Student Journalist
Admissible Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the given criteria:
- Must be the original work of the person or team named as the author on the entry form.
- Must expose as false or incorrect a claim on an important topic that originated in or is pertinent to Africa.
- Must be an original piece of fact-checking journalism that was first published or broadcast between 1 July 2022 and 30 June 2023.
- Must be received by the organizers by the deadline of midnight GMT on June 30, 2023. Entries received after the deadline will not be accepted.
How to Apply for African Fact-Checking Awards 2023
Applicants are required to apply through the online entry form.
Supporting Documents: Applicants must provide the given supporting documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Academic Records
- Previous work records
Admission Requirements: Applicants must fulfill the following admission requirements:
- By submitting a submission, the entrant confirms that they are the authors of the work and that any disputes over this are completely the entrant’s responsibility.
- If they win, entrants must agree to undertake media interviews and/or stories about the honors.
- Entrants for the awards must agree to accept the judgments of the judges as final.
Language Requirement: Applicants must fulfill one of the following language requirements:
- Must have a good knowledge of English or French.
For further information on this African Fact-Checking Awards 2023, please visit the official website below.